- 163 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: In Thane District
Difficulty Level: Easy
At 4,500 feet, Ajobagad is one of the highest peaks in the Western Ghats and one of the most difficult treks in Maharashtra.
Ajobagad, also known as ‘Ajoba Hill’ and ‘Aaja Parvat’ is situated near Dehene Village in Shahpur Taluka of Thane District. Set at an elevation of about 4,500 feet, Ajobagad is one of the highest peaks in the Western Ghats. The Ajobagad trek is one of the most difficult treks in Maharashtra and becomes even more tough during monsoon due to slippery rocky patches. Nonetheless, the trek to Ajobagad is a thrilling experience and a favorite of many hardcore trekkers.
According to a local folklore, Ajobagad is a sacred hill as it is the place where Saint Valmiki lived. Goddess Sita stayed at the hill with her sons Luv and Kush when she was away from her husband Lord Ram. Luv and Kush were said to have called Saint Valmika ‘Ajoba’, which means ‘grandfather’ in Marathi. That is how the hill came to be called Ajobagad.
The base village of Ajobagad trek is Dehene. This trail is absolutely beautiful, lush green and offers spectacular views all along. Ajobagad can be climbed from the eastern or western side. However, it takes more time to trek via the eastern side, while the climb from the western side is steeper. Mid-way to Ajobagad is the Valmiki Ashram, the cottage where Saint Valmiki is believed to have lived. There are several other famous sites all the way till the top of Ajobagad including Goddess Sita’s cradle and the footprints and caves of Luv-Kush. En route, there is also a stream of fresh water as well as numerous waterfalls.
- Carry your own food and sufficient water for the trek.
- There is a fresh water stream near the Valmiki Ashram.
- This is a one-day trek; however, it is possible to stay at the small hut near the Valmiki Ashram. But beware of dangerous reptiles like snakes, lizards, scorpions etc.
- Some local organizations offer overnight camping facilities at Dehene village.
- Mode of Transport: The best way to reach Ajobagad is by car.
Things to do
- Embark on an adventurous trek to Ajobagad, one of the highest peaks in the Western Ghats.
- Walk through a beautiful trail laden with lush greenery and offering spectacular views all along the way.
- Explore mythological sites such as the Valmiki Ashram, Goddess Sita’s cradle and the footprints and caves of Luv-Kush.