- 68 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: Near Pimpri
Difficulty Level: Easy
Andharban is a beautiful dense forest situated near Tamhini Ghat and the Andharban trek is one of the exciting treks in the Sahyadri region.
Andharban is a beautiful dense forest situated near Tamhini Ghat. The Andharban trek is one of the exciting and adventurous treks in the Sahyadri region. This amazing forested trail offers the most incredible views of the Devkund Waterfall, Plus Valley and Tamhini Ghat. Trekking through the dense foliage of Andharban is a magical experience and a must-do for every adventure enthusiast.
The name ‘Andharban’ comes from the words ‘Andhar’, which means ‘dark’ and ‘Ban’, which means ‘forest’. Andharban literally means the ‘Dark Forest’ and the places lives up to its name, especially during monsoon when the entire forest is covered in a blanket of thick fog. The Andharban trek is a descending one and passes through numerous streams and cascading waterfalls. It takes about 4 hours to complete the trek. The base village of the Andharban trek is Pimpri. The trail starts at an elevation and gradually descends deep into the valley, culminating at the backwaters of Bhira Dam.
The Andharban trek can be done during the day and also at night under the guidance of experts. The best time to do the trek is during monsoon and right after monsoon, when the forest is refreshingly green. Andharban is also home to a huge variety of flora and fauna. Birders will be delighted by the beautiful birds found inside this forest. It is advisable to start the trek early in the morning and then drive back home in the evening. The trail ends at Patnus village, which has several lodges suitable for an overnight stay and a couple of local food joints and dhabas.
- Carry your own food and sufficient water for the Andharban trek.
- There are several lodges and a couple of local food joints and dhabas at Patnus village, the end-point of the trek.
- Mode of Transport: The best way to reach Andharban is by car.
Things to do
- Embark on the exciting Andharban trek, one of the most popular and unique treks in the Sahyadris region.
- Walk along a beautiful trail that passes through a dense thicket and numerous waterfalls and streams.
- Along the way, enjoy the incredible views of the Devkund Waterfall, Plus Valley and Tamhini Ghat.
- Come across a huge variety of beautiful flora and fauna.