- 241 Kms
- 3.5 / 5
Location: Near Nashik
Anjaneri Fort is located near Nashik in the mountain range of Nashik-Trimbakeshwar and is considered to be the birthplace of Lord Hanuman.
Anjaneri Fort is located in the mountain range of Nashik-Trimbakeshwar, about 30 km away from the ancient holy city of Nashik. It is a must-visit place and one of the top attractions near Nashik. A huge number of trekkers and devotees of Lord Hanuman visit this fort every year.
Anjaneri Fort is said to be the birthplace of Lord Hanuman, and therefore, is of utmost significance to Hindus. The fort is named after Lord Hanuman’s mother Anjani, and is the only location in the world where one can find an Anjani Mata Temple. Thousands of pilgrims visit this temple during the auspicious occasion of Hanuman Jayanti. The temple attracts a large number of devotees on most Tuesdays and Saturdays as well.
Situated at an elevation of about 4264 feet, a trek up to Anjaneri Fort is filled with a lot of adventure and thrill. The trail to the top of the fort starts at the base village, which is also called Anjaneri. The trek is relatively easy and takes up to 2 hours. Along the way, you will come across 108 Jain caves belonging to the 12th century. Believed to have been built by Jain monks, all of these caves have beautiful and intricate carvings
After climbing several steps, you reach the top of the fort, which is a vast plateau. A few more steps and you reach the Anjani Mata Temple. Take a breather and rest at this temple for a while, soaking in the peaceful atmosphere. Nearby, you will find a lone food stall serving piping hot tea and snacks. Atop the Anjaneri mountain you will also come across the intricately carved ‘Sita Cave’, where Sita, the wife of Lord Ram had supposedly taken shelter for a few days. Approximately 10-12 people can comfortable stay inside this cave. You will also find another cave where Lord Hanuman was supposedly born. There are few more temple on the mountain dedicated to Lord Hanuman and Lord Ram.
The breathtaking views from the top of the mountain absolutely spellbinding. From here, you can view the beautiful lake which is shaped like the foot of Lord Hanuman. You can also see the magnificent Brahmagiri hills and the serene backwaters of Vaitarna Dam. The fort and its surroundings look especially stunning during monsoon with lush greenery all around. Descend down the same path after exploring the Anjaneri mountain to its fullest.
On the way up and down, you might bump into playful monkeys looking for snacks. Some may try to snatch your bags, so be careful. Carry enough snacks and sufficient water for the trek. Prior to the trek, you can make arrangements for lunch at the base village. Request any friendly local family to prepare a lunch in advance, and they will happily serve you some delicious food.
- To visit Anjaneri Caves, you may stay in neighbouring town of Nashik.
- There are many good hotels and resorts in Nashik, providing comfortable accommodation.
- Mode of Transport : Best way to reach Anjaneri Fort from Pune is by car. Or else you may travel to Nashik by train or bus.
Things to do
- Enjoy a memorable day visiting the Anjaneri Fort, the birthplace of Lord Hanuman.
- Visit the Anjaneri Mata Temple, the only temple in the world dedicated to Anjani, the mother of Lord Hanuman.
- Make sure to visit the ‘Sita Cave’ and another cave where Lord Hanuman was born.
- From the top of the mountain enjoy spectacular views of the the magnificent Brahmagiri hills, the serene backwaters of Vaitarna Dam and the beautiful lake shaped like Lord Hanuman’s foot.
- Along the way, halt at intricately carved the 12th century Jain caves.