- 132 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: Near Malshej Ghat
Situated in the Sahyadris near Malshej Ghat, Bhairavgad is a dike formation and one of the most adventurous treks in Maharashtra.
Bhairavgad is a dike formation and one of the most adventurous treks in Maharashtra. It is situated in the Sahyadris near Malshej Ghat. The fort is also known as ‘Moroshi Bhairavagad’ or ‘Moroshiche Bhairavgad’ as the base village of this trek is Moroshi. Another reason for calling it ‘Moroshi Bhairavagad’ is so that it is not confused with other forts names Bhairavgad, located at Chiplun-Karad, Shirpunje and Bhandardara, respectively.
Bhairavgad was a strategic outpost utilized for keeping watch on the Naneghat-Jivdhan and Kalyan-Junnar trade routes. The fort is located at a height of about 1145 meters and is quite difficult to climb. The initial hike is through loose soil and rock-cut steps. After a point, the steps completely disappear, and only crumbling remnants of steps are visible. These steps were blown-off by the British. The remaining climb is considerably challenging but exciting nonetheless. Rock climbing with rope may be used in some risky patches.
The views from the top of Bhairavgad are extremely beautiful. From the top, one can easily see the famous forts of Alang, Madan, Kulang, Harishchandragad, Rohida, Naneghat, Malshej Ghat and Jivdhan. While descending, one has to rappel down the hill in some parts.
- It is advisable to carry your own food and sufficient water for the trek.
- Breakfast and lunch can be arranged by locals of Moroshi village on request.
- Overnight stay is possible in Moroshi village if you carry your own tents and sleeping bags.
- Mode of Transport: The best way to reach Bhairavgad is by car.
Things to do
- Embark on an adventurous trek to Bhairavgad, a dike located in the Sahaydris.
- Feel the thrill of a lifetime as you climb over the steep hill to reach the top.
- Enjoy stunning views of Alang, Madan, Kulang, Harishchandragad, Rohida, Naneghat, Malshej Ghat and Jivdhan from the top of Bhairavgad.