- 243 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: Near Aurangabad
Aurangabad’s Bibi Ka Maqbara is a 16th century mausoleum built by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb’s son Azam Shah for his mother Dilras Banu Begum (Rabia-ud-Daurani).
Bibi Ka Maqbara is a mausoleum situated in the historic city of Aurangabad. Owing to its resemblance to the famous Taj Mahal, it is also known as Dakkhani Taj or Taj of the Deccan. The tomb was built in the 16th century by Azam Shah, son of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb, in the memory of his mother Dilras Banu Begum (posthumously known as Rabia-ud-Daurani). The monument was modelled on the design of the Taj Mahal, which was built in the memory of Azam Shah’s grandmother Mumtaz Mahal by his grandfather Shah Jahan.
An inscription of the tomb’s main entrance door states that of the mausoleum was designed by architect Ata-ullah, who was the son of Ustad Ahmad Lahauri, the principal designer of Taj Mahal. The cost to construct Bibi Ka Maqbara was about Rs. 668230 and 7 annas. It was built with the intentions of rivaling the fame of the Taj Mahal, but it failed to do so due to various reasons. However, today the mausoleum is a protected monument and one of the prime tourist attractions in Aurangabad.
Even though it is not as grand at the Taj Mahal, it is still worth visiting. Built in white marble, the monument has four towering minarets and is surrounded by four vast green lawns. A long water channel lies at the center of the path leading up to the tomb. Similar to the Taj Mahal, the marble walls of Bibi Ka Maqbara are also decorated with intricate carvings and reliefs.
One can visit the mausoleum at any time of the day. But the best time to visit the white monument is in the evening, when it’s beauty is elevated by the golden hues of the setting sun. In addition to visiting Bibi Ka Maqbara, one must also explore other famous attractions in Aurangabad such as the cave-temples of Ajanta-Ellora and the Daulatabad Fort.
- While visiting Bibi Ka Maqbara, one may eat delicious snacks served at the food stalls situated outside the monument’s premises.
- In addition, there are several nice restaurants, hotels and resorts in the city of Aurangabad.
- Mode of Transport : Best way to reach Bibi Ka Maqbara is by car. Or else you can travel to Aurangabad by MSRTC buses.
Things to do
- Visit Bibi Ka Maqbara, a protected monument and popular tourist attraction situated in Aurangabad.
- Capture scenic shots of the white monument during sunset, when its beauty is elevated by the golden hues of the sun.
- Explore and photograph the intricate carvings and reliefs decorating the mausoleum’s marble walls.