- 167 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: Near Roha
The ancient fort of Birwadi is situated in the city of Roha in Raigad District.
Birwadi Fort is a hill fortress located near the city of Roha in Maharashtra’s Raigad district. When viewed from a distance, the fort looks like a small hillock. The height of this fort is approximately 1200 feet above sea level.
Very little is known about the history of this fort. Soon after capturing Kalyan, in 1648, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj built Avchitgad as well as the Lingana Fort. The fort was then used as watch tower to guard over the Revdanda Creek and keep a watch on Siddhis.
The base village of Birwadi fort is also known as Birwadi and it is situated next to the village of Chanera. The trail to reach the top starts near Birwadi’s village’s newly contructed temple dedicated to Goddess Bhavani Mata. Climb about 100 steps to reach the temple.
From the Bhavani Mata Temple, there are two routes that take you to the fort. One is behind the temple, and another lies to left of the temple. Take the route on the left as it comparatively easier. After walking for a while you will reach a farmhouse. An ascend to the top of the fort begins from this point.
Along this trail, there is loose soil and small boulders, which become slippery during monsoon. So be extra cautious as you walk over the rocky terrain. The first sight of the fort is its main entryway with bastions on either side. As you proceed further along the trail you see a big water tank known as ‘Ghodyache Takee’.
Atop the fort, you will come across a few more water tanks, some cannons and remnants of old buildings. Another huge entryway is situated at the rear of the fort. It takes no more than half an hour to explore the fort’s small plateau. While you are on the top, make sure to feast your eyes on the beautiful bird’s-eyes view of the dense valley below and the lush greenery all around.
- Carry your own food and sufficient water for the trek.
- There aren’t eateries in Birwadi village, but you may find some in Chanera.
- There are several hotels and restaurants in the nearby city of Roha.
- Mode of Transport: Best way to reach Birwadi Fort from Pune is by car. Or else you may take a bus or train to reach Roha. From Roha, take a bus or rickshaw to go to Chanera village. Chanera is about 5 mins away from Birwadi village.
Things to do
- Walk through an exciting trail to reach the top of Avchitgad.
- Atop the fort, you will come across a few water cisterns, ancient remnants and ruins of old building.
- From the top of Birwadi Fort, enjoy a beautiful bird’s-eyes views of the dense valley below and the lush greenery all around.