- 67 Kms
- 4 / 5
Location: Near Tamhini Ghat
Located deep within the forested area surrounding Bhira Dam, the immensely beautiful Devkund Waterfall is a major tourist attraction.
Devkund Waterfall is situated in the quaint village of Bhira, about 99 km away from Pune Raigad district. Located deep within the forested area surrounding Bhira Dam, the immensely beautiful Devkund Waterfall has become a major tourist attraction over the last few years. It is believed that this waterfall is the origin of the popular Kundalika River.
The trail to reach Devkund Waterfall begins near the parking area at Bhira village. You can hire a local guide at the village, who will accompany you for this exciting trek through a dense forest. The path towards the waterfall is well-marked. En route, you can enjoy the marvelous view of the Bhira Dam backwaters. The flat grounds along this route, near the reservoir are also the ideal place for overnight camping.
After an easy hike of about an hour or two, you will finally reach the magnificent Devkund Waterfall. The first sight of the imposing 80-feet waterfall is simply mesmerizing. At the bottom of the waterfall is a massive pond with a diameter of approximately 30 meters. The clear blue-green water of this pond looks absolutely surreal. You can spend hours here, just soaking up the astounding beauty of this fascinating place.
However, it is better to be cautious and avoid swimming in this pond. In the past, there have been many incidences of visitors drowning in the pond’s deeper end. The locals have now marked a safety line (a rope) which divides the pond into two halves. No one is allowed to venture into the water beyond the safety limit because the depth of the pool is around 60 feet deep and the currents are quite strong. It is best to enjoy the view from afar and just dip your feet in the icy cold shallow water near the rocks.
The best time to visit Devkund Waterfall is between October and mid-November. The waterfall is closed during monsoon, when overflowing rivers crisscross the trek route, and there are chances of flash floods.
- If you wish to stay overnight, you can set up an overnight camp near the Bhira Dam reservoir, located en route to the water.
- Lunch and dinner is available at the base village. There are a couple of small huts selling tea, lemonade and packaged chips along the way.
- However, it is always advisable to carry your own snacks and sufficient water for the trek.
- Mode of Transport : The best way to reach Devkund Waterfall is by car.
Things to do
- Embark on an enjoyable hike through dense forests to reach the magnificent Devkund Waterfall.
- En route the waterfall, marvel at the spectacular view of Bhira Dam backwaters.
- On reaching the destination, feel enthralled by the sheer sight of the imposing waterfall and the beautiful blue-green pond at the bottom.
- Avoid swimming in the pond as it is quite deep. Instead, just sit by the rocks and dip your feet in the shallow icy cold water near the edge.