- 29 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: Near Pune
Ghoradeshwar Temple is an ancient cave temple dedicated to Lord Shiva situated near the old Mumbai-Pune highway.
Ghoradeshwar Temple is an ancient cave temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is situated near the old Mumbai-Pune highway, about 29 km away from Pune. Many devotees of Lord Shiva visit the Ghoradeshwar Temple during the auspicious occasion of Maha Shivratri. The Ghoradeshwar cave complex also houses several other caves containing carvings and statues of Buddhist and Hindu deities. The caves are located atop a steep hill and were carved from a single rock formation during the 3rd and 4th century.
One has to climb around 350 steps to reach Ghoradeshwar Temple. The trek is relatively easy and it takes about 30 minutes to reach the top. The Ghoradeshwar Temple is in the main cave and houses a Shiv Linga. One can sit here for a while, meditate and soak in the divine atmosphere. There is also a temple dedicated to Lord Vitthal and Goddess Rukmini in one of the other caves in this complex. Another cave has an idol of Sant Tukaram, a revered 17th century Hindu saint and poet. It is believed that he would often meditate at the Ghoradeshwar Caves.
After visiting the main temple, one has to climb higher up the hill to visit the other caves. The ascent is a bit difficult but seems worth it on reaching the top. From the peak, one can enjoy the breathtaking panoramic views of the hills below with the marvelous Gahunje Cricket Stadium in the distance. The gentle breeze and cool weather at the top are simply refreshing. One can enjoy a beautiful sunset from here and then descend down the same path.
घोराडेश्वर लेणी अथवा शेलारवाडी लेणी या नावाने ओळखले जाणारे हे ठिकाण पुण्यापासून 25 किलोमीटर अंतरावर असलेली एक बौद्ध लेणी आहे. ही लेणी तिसऱ्या आणि चौथ्या शतकात एका खडकाच्या निर्मितीतून कोरली होती. याच्या चैत्यगृहाच्या बाजूला ध्यान करण्यासाठी नऊ खोल्या आहेत. एका भिंतीवर ब्राम्ही लिपीतील शिलालेख आढळतो. सध्याच्या घडीला चैत्यगृह श्री घर्देश्वर मंदिर म्हणून ओळखले जाते. यातील अनेक लेण्यांमध्ये विठ्ठल रखुमाई आणि संत तुकाराम यांचा समावेश आहे. असे म्हटले जाते की संत तुकाराम घोरवाडी गुहेत ध्यानस्थ व्हायचे. मोठी गुहा ज्यात शिवलिंग आहे त्याच्या दर्शनासाठी महाशिवरात्रीला लोकांची प्रचंड गर्दी होते.
- Carry your own snacks and sufficient water while visiting the temple and caves.
- Mode of Transport: The best way to reach Ghoradeshwar Temple is by car.
Things to do
- Visit Ghoradeshwar Temple, the ancient cave temple situated just 45 minutes away from Pune.
- Climb about 350 steps to reach the temple and enjoy the pleasant views along the way.
- On reaching the temple, soak up the divine atmosphere and meditate in the peaceful atmosphere.
- Visit the caves that house the idols of Lord Vitthal and Goddess Rukmini and Sant Tukaram.
- Climb further up the hill, and marvel at the breathtaking panoramic views from the peak.