- 301 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: In Ratnagiri District
Located near Ganpatipule, Jaigad Fort is a 16th century coastal fortification perched atop a hill and overlooking the Arabian Sea.
Jaigad Fort is a coastal fort located at the tip of a peninsula in Ratnagiri district. The fort is situated about 18 km away from the town of Ganpatipule. It is classified as a protected monument and is under the care of the Archaeological Survey of India.
It is believed that Jaigad Fort was built in the 16th century by the Bijapur Sultanate. Later, the Sultanate lost the fort to the Naiks of Sangameshwar. The combined armies of the Sultanate and the Portuguese tried to attack the fort a couple of times. But they remained unsuccessful in capturing the fort each time due to the military prowess of the Naiks. Subsequently, the fort came under the control of Peshwa Balaji Vishwanath. He surrendered the fort to Kanhoji Angre in 1713. In 1818, the fort was taken over by the British.
The 250 feet high Gowalkot Fort is situated atop a cliff overlooking the Jaigad Creek, where the Shastri River joins the Arabian sea. A deep moat or ‘Khandak’ surrounds the fort’s eastern and northern sides. Today, most the fort is in a state of ruin. However, its exterior walls and ramparts are in a good condition and seem to have withstood the test of time. On the fort premises, there are three ancient water wells. Two of the wells are 70 feet deep, while the third one is 100 feet deep. Kanohji Angre’s palace lies in the middle of the fort. The fort premises also contain temples dedicated to Lord Ganesha and Lord Hanuman.
The beautiful views of the Jaigad Creek and the magnificent Arabian Sea, from the top of the fort are simply amazing. Also, worth visiting is the Jaigad Lighthouse situated near the fort. The lighthouse is open to visitors between 4pm and 5 pm, and it offers absolutely spectacular views of the infinite ocean surrounding this picturesque coastal region.
- Carry your own food and sufficient water while visiting the fort.
- There are several good restaurants, hotels and homestays in the neighbouring town of Ganpatipule.
- Mode of Transport : Best way to reach Jaigad Fort from Pune is by car.
Things to do
- Visit the beautiful Jaigad Fort situated near the town of Ganpatipule.
- From atop the fort, enjoy the amazing views of the the Jaigad Creek and the magnificent Arabian Sea.
- Explore the ancient remnants, temples and ramparts located atop the fort.
- Visit the nearby Jaigad Lighthouse and marvel at the incredible sea view it offers.