- 147 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: Near Alibaug
Kanakeshwar Temple is an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, situated on a hilltop in the village of Mapgaon, about 14 km away from Alibag.
Kanakeshwar Temple is an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is situated on a hilltop in the village of Mapgaon, about 14 km away from the popular beach town of Alibag in Maharashtra’s Raigad district. The temple is one of most revered places of pilgrimage in the Konkan region. Shri Kanakeshwar is the family deity or ‘Kuldaivat’ of Date/Datye family. Thousands of devotees visit this temple on the auspicious occasion of Maha Shivratri and during the annual Kartik Purnima fair.
Kanakeshwar Temple lies atop a steep hill that is about 900-feet high. One has to climb more than 700 steps to reach the temple and it takes an hour to complete this trek. Built in 1764, the 54-feet high temple is one of the finest examples of Hoysala style of architecture. Inside the temple’s sanctum sanctorum is a 4-feet tall Shiv Linga. The temple complex also houses the shrines of Lord Ganesha, Lord Krishna and Lord Balram, Lord Hanuman and more. One of the main attractions of Kanakeshwar Temple is a water tank called Pushkarini, which has water almost all-year-round.
Along the hilly route towards Kankeshwar Temple are several landmarks such as ‘Nagobacha Tappa’ (A Place of Snakes), Devachi Payri (God’s Step), Gaymandi (Sculpture of a Cow), etc. The views of the Arabian Sea, Khanderi Fort and the entire region below from the top of this hill are absolutely spectacular. The area surrounding Kanakeshwar Tempe is also home to a wide variety of flora and fauna. Many types of migratory and regional birds including raptors and reptiles such as snakes have been spotted at this location.
- It is advisable to carry sufficient water and a few snacks while visiting Kanakeshwar Temple as the climb to the top is tiring.
- There are couple of food stalls on the top of the hill, near the temple selling snacks such as poha and beverages such as tea/coffee, cold drinks, etc.
- Accommodation is available in the neighbouring beach town of Alibag.
- Mode of Transport: The best way to reach Kanakeshwar Temple is by car.
Things to do
- Visit the beautiful Kanakeshwar Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Climb more than 700 steps to reach the temple and enjoy the spectacular views on this route.
- Explore several landmarks along the way including ‘Nagobacha Tappa’ (A Place of Snakes), Devachi Payri (God’s Step), Gaymandi (Sculpture of a Cow), etc.
- Take darshan of Lord Shiva in the main temple and also visit the shrines of of Lord Ganesha, Lord Krishna and Lord Balram and Lord Hanuman.
- Visit the temple’s popular ‘Pushkarini’ water tank, which is said to have water all-year-round.