- 242 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: In Kolhapur District
Kaneri Math, also known as Siddhagiri Gramjivan Museum is nestled within the complex of the Moola-Kaadsiddheswar Shiva Temple at Shri Kshetra Siddhagiri Math.
Kaneri Math or Siddhagiri Gramjivan Museum is situated at Shri Kshetra Siddhagiri Math in the village of Kaneri, about 26 km away from Kolhapur and around 241 km awy from Pune. A remarkable sculpture museum, the Kaneri Math is nestled within the complex of the Moola-Kaadsiddheswar Shiva Temple. Besides the museum and the ancient Shiva Temple, the complex also houses a meditation hall, a series of halls for discussions, residential hostels for devotees and adjacent farms.
Kaneri Math is a must-visit when you are in Kolhapur. Spread over 7 acres, the museum displays village life or ‘Gramjivan’ through 300 beautiful life-size cement sculptures. Every aspect of daily activities in the village have been spectacularly depicted through almost 80 scenes. Many of the museum’s sculptures showcase the self-sufficient village life in Maharashtra, before the invasion of the Mughals, when there were 12 Balutedars (artisan castes) and 18 Alutedars. This initiative was the dream of Mahatma Gandhi, and was created through the vision and efforts of Siddhagiri Gurukul Foundation.
The museum also showcases sculptures of great ancient Indian scientists, mathematicians, doctors & surgeons. A huge statute of Lord Shiva is one of the main highlights of this place. After visiting the museum, you may meditate in the meditation hall and soak up the divine atmosphere at the Shiva temple. Surrounded by lush greenery, the Kaneri Math is the perfect place to relax with family. In addition to the wonderful museum, this place has many other attractions for kids including a train ride and a 7D show.
The temple premises have ample parking stay. There is also accommodation in the complex, where you can stay overnight or for a couple of days. A bus service runs to and fro, from the lodgings to the Math. The temple serves ‘Prasad’ or free meals to devotees and visitors every day.
- The temple serves ‘Prasad’ or free meals to devotees and visitors every day.
- There are few nice eateries in the vicinity.
- Ample accommodation is available in Kolhapur, which is 26 km away.
- Mode of Transport: The best way to reach Kaneri Math is by car.
Things to do
- Visit Kaneri Math or Siddhagiri Gramjivan Museum, a remarkable sculpture museum, nestled within the complex of the Moola-Kaadsiddheswar Shiva Temple.
- Explore the museum that displays village life or ‘Gramjivan’ through 300 beautiful life-size cement sculptures.
- Meditate in the meditation hall and soak up the divine atmosphere at the Shiva temple.
- In addition to the wonderful museum, kids can look forward to a train ride and a 7D show.