- 172 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: Near Alibaug
Kashid is a beach town on the shores of the Arabian Sea, in the North Konkan region in Raigad district.
Kashid is a beach town on the shores of the Arabian Sea, in the North Konkan region in Raigad district. It is located 30 km from the more popular Alibaug.
Kashid is famous for its white sand, blue waters, green mountains, paddy fields, and small rivulets. Kashid has a 3 km stretch of beach beautifully placed between two rocky hillocks lined with Casuarina groves all along. This is by far the best beach in this part of the Konkan region. It is comparatively less crowded on weekdays and more on weekend. It is a perfect place for a weekend holiday. There are a few small hotels in Kashid as the rest of the area is privately owned.
Kashid is a newly discovered but upcoming tourist spot. The waves here are unusually high and can be a paradise for surfing. The waves reach a height of 5–6 feet even during the non-monsoon months. However they are dangerously high during the monsoons and surfing is not recommended during the months of June to September.
Kashid has gorgeous beaches, along with other attractions like Janjira Fort, Murud, Birla temple etc.
Kashid is blessed with white sand, blue seas and great scenery and is considered to be one of the cleanest beaches in Konkan . Sitting ideally at sea shore and enjoying the breeze is a great way to unwind and relax.
- There are limited number of hotels and resorts in Kashid. There are few luxurious to economic hotels are located near the seashore which offer magnificent views of the scenic beaches. It is advisable to plan and book hotel and resort rooms in advance to have a pleasant and hassle free stay.
- Best option is accommodation in cottages which are run by local people. In addition to good facilities, they offer yummy Konkani food.
- Mode of Transport: Car from Pune.
Things to do
- Janjira fort which stands amidst the crystal clear sea is located at 22 km. from Kashid. It was occupied by the Siddis and is famous for being the only fort along India’s Western coast that remained undefeated despite Dutch, Maratha and East India Company
- Birla Temple -15 Kms from Kashid on the Alibaug – Roha route near the Salav village is the beautiful ‘Birla Mandir’. The Birla mandir, situated atop a hill, has a beautifully carved marble nave and the idol of ‘Ganapati’ on it. The idols of ‘Riddhi and Siddhi’ are placed on either sides of the idol. There are small temples of ‘Radha-Krishna’, ‘Shiv-Parvati’ and ‘Suryadeva’ .
- Korlai Fort and lighthouse– is About 15 kilometers from Kashid. The Korlai fort has three inscriptions within the fort. Over one of the inscriptions surmounted by a cross is a coat of arms with a shield, the Portuguese star in the center surrounded by seven castles. The other inscriptions, one over the chief entrance, and one in the chapel, are worn out and unreadable. The fort was built by the Portuguese.
- Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary –Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary about 13 km. from Kashid .The trek through the jungle trails is quite an experience. The main attraction of the Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary is the beautiful Giant Indian Squirrel. Given its shy disposition, catching a glimpse is not an easy prospect. There are also over 90 different types of butterflies in Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Revdanda beach fort– is 15 km. from Kashid. This fort was built by the Portuguese and now stands in ruins. The entire fort is covered by the betel nut plantations. This fort comprises a seven storey tower and fortified walls, bordering the sea. Along the wall of the fort, tourists can view the Korlai Fort at a distance and ofcourse the cool blue waters of the Arabian Sea.