- 190 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: In Ratnagiri District
Keshavraj Temple is an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu, situated atop a hill in the small village of Asud near Dapoli.
Keshavraj Temple is an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu, situated near the town of Dapoli in Maharashtra’s Ratnagiri district. The temple is located in the small village of Asud, about 192 km away from Pune. Perched atop a hill and surrounded by lush greenery and flowing streams, the wonderful Keshavraj Temple is one of the main attractions in Dapoli.
The best time to visit the Keshavraj Temple is in the morning. There is an uphill 20-minute walk to reach the temple and you have to climb about 200 hundred odd steps. The trek is easy, but not suitable for the aged. The trail starts near the makeshift roadside parking, which can accommodate up to 2 to 3 cars. The entire stretch of the trail is surrounded by a dense thicket of betel, coconut, mango, cashew and jackfruit trees. A bridge is built on the river stream that runs parallel to this trail. The experience of walking through this forested route is absolutely delightful. You’ll spot monkeys and a variety of beautiful birds on the way.
The trek to the top seems worth it once you reach the beautiful Kesharavraj Temple. The temple is surrounded by many trees and the area is clean and tranquil. The atmosphere inside the temple is absolutely divine and peaceful. The idol of Lord Keshav or Lord Vishnu is made of black stone. You can sit here for a while, pray, meditate and just relax, while listening to cheery chirping of birds. Make sure to drink the cool water flowing through the stone Gomukh (Cow’s mouth), located at one of the temple. The crystal-clear water flowing through the Gomukh originates from a natural spring situated atop the hill.
After exploring the temple and its impressive surroundings, you have to climb down the hill. On the way down, you can stop at the bridge built across the beautiful river stream. The river is full during monsoon and dries up in summer. Once you reach the end of the trail you’ll find a few homes, where local families sell refreshing juices of kokam, karvanda, mango, lemon and more. You can also purchase local products like cashews, preserved kokam fruit, mango jellies, etc.
- Fresh fruits juices are served by local homes near the temple.
- There are several homestays in the area, where you can enjoy delicious a vegetarian Brahmani meal.
- There a many homestays, hotels and resorts in Dapoli.
- Mode of Transport: The best way to reach and explore Keshavraj Temple is by car.
Things to do
- Visit the ancient Keshavraj Temple, one of the main attractions in Dapoli.
- Embark on a relatively easy fort to reach the top of the temple and climb over 200 steps.
- Walk through a beautiful trail which is surrounded by a dense thicket of betel, coconut, mango, cashew and jackfruit trees and runs parallel to a river stream.
- Feel refreshed as you feast your eyes on the greenery all around and encounter monkeys and a variety of birds on the way.
- Meditate, pray and just relax in the calm and tranquil temple.
- Drink the cool natural spring water flowing through the gomukh.
- On the way down, stop at the bridge to enjoy the river view. During summer, you can go down to the river bed as it dries up.
- Drink delicious juices of of kokam, karvanda, mango and lemon served at local homes near the exit. You can even purchase local products like cashews, preserved kokam fruit, mango jellies, etc.