- 66 Kms
- 4 / 5
Location: Near Pune
The perfect getaway near Pune, Lonavala is beautiful hill station famous for its spectacular waterfalls, serene lakes, picturesque mountains and delicious Chikki.
Lonavla is a lovely hill station primly located on the Pune-Mumbai expressway which blooms into a magnificent lush green landscape during the monsoons. At 64km from Pune, it also well-known for its ‘chikki’. Lonavla got its name from the Sanskrit word Lonavli which means caves due to its proximity to ancient Budddhist caves.
Lonavla and Khandala, the twin hill stations nestled in the Western Sahyadris were discovered by Sir Elphinstone. Both these places held importance in the Mughal and Peshwa period and today are one of the most sought-after picnic spots in the State. Together with the Karla, Bhaja and Bedsa caves, the Lohgad and Visapur forts, Lonavla comes in an adventurous and scenic package. Packed with people during the monsoons, is it ideal for a one-day trip.
Unpolluted and serene, it is a romantic getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city. Cool climate throughout the year and panoramic views of the Deccan plateau on one side and the Konkan on the other makes it an unforgettable visit.
- Small hotels as well high-budget hotels available but with prior booking.
- There are small and large eateries, restaurants and fine dining places to satiate your taste buds.
- Mode of Transport : The best way to reach Lonavala is by car.
Things to do
- Lion’s Point: Located between the Bhushi Dam and Amby Valley, the Tungarli Dam is brimming with tourists. It is also called the Lion’s Point.
- Lonavala Lake: Lonavala Lake is surrounded by natural scenery, about 1.6 km from the town.
- Tungarli Lake: A popular picnic spot, it is a must visit.
- Karla Caves: Karla, located near Lonavla, is a complex of cave shrines built by Buddhist monks around 3rd to 2nd century B.C.
- Lohagad Fort: The ‘Iron Fort, once a battle station of Shivaji’ takes a climb of about 11.2 km from the Malavali Station and offers spectacular views of the surrounding hills.
- Celebrity Wax Museum: Another interesting place in Lonavla is the Celebrity Wax Museum which boasts of Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Hariharan, Baba Saheb Ambedkar, Mother Teresa, Sai Baba, AR Rahman, Balaji Tambe and Yesudas statues.
- Shooting Point: Located in Khadala, it offers an out of this world view of the Rajmachi Fort
- Rajmachi Point: Rajmachi Pointis located about 6.5 km from Lonavla and point commands a view of Shivaji’s famous fort, Rajmachi and the surrounding valley.