- 121 Kms
- 5 / 5
Location: Near Pune
Set amidst the spectacular Sahyadris, Mahabaleshwar’s is a popular hill station famous for its pleasant climate, picturesque valleys, majestic peaks, cascading waterfalls and delicious strawberries.
Set amidst the breathtaking landscape of the spectacular Sahyadri Mountains in Maharashtra, the city of Mahabaleshwar has been a popular summer retreat since the days of the British rule in India. The beautiful hill station is situated about 121 km away from Pune. Mahabaleshwar’s all-year round pleasant climate, lush green valleys, majestic peaks, cascading Waterfalls and numerous other fun activities and delightful attractions make it the ultimate destination for a fun family holiday, a romantic honeymoon or a memorable weekend trip with friends.
There are numerous viewpoints spread across the Mahabaleshwar from where you can enjoy the panoramic beauty of the Western Ghats. The mesmerizing sunsets and sunrises at Kate’s Point, Arthur’s Seat, Lodwick Point, Wilson Point, Elephant Point, Helen’s Point, Babington Point and Bombay Point are bound to leave you spellbound. Each viewpoint paints a unique picture of the glorious Sahyadris and you can look forward to capturing stunning photographs of the mountains and greenery.
The beautiful hill station offers a wide array of tourist attractions and activities suitable for people of all ages. Mahabaleshwar’s much-loved Venna Lake is a popular tourist attraction. You can indulge in a relaxing boat ride in the lake’s serene waters or explore the refreshingly green lakeside area with a fun horseback ride. During monsoon, visit Mahabaleshwar’s impressive Chinaman Waterfalls, Lingmala Waterfalls and Dhobi Waterfalls and feel refreshed as you soak up the natural grandeur of these places. Adventure enthusiasts can look forward to some exciting treks in and around Mahabaleshwar. There are several hiking points spread across the beautiful city. Pratapgad Fort, which is situated at a distance of just about 25 km from Mahabaleshwar is one of the best trekking destinations near this hill station.
Old Mahabaleshwar is home to some of the most ancient and beautiful temples of Maharashtra known for their intricate stone carvings and exemplary architecture. The Krishnabai Temple or Krishna Temple dedicated to Lord Krishna and Lord Shiva dates back to the era of the Pandavas and is considered to be the origin of the Krishna River. The highlight of this temple is the water flowing through a stone ‘gowmukh’ (cow’s head) into a ‘kund’ or a small pond, which further joins other water outlets that eventually lead to the full-fledged Krishna River. The 13th century Panchganga Temple built at the confluence of five rivers – Krishna, Koyna, Venna, Savitri and Gayatri is of major religious significance and is another historical marvel that will transport you to an era gone by. Also, worth visiting are the Mahabaleshwar Temple and Atibaleshwar Temple, both dedicated to Lord Shiva.
Besides its natural splendor, Mahabaleshwar is most famous for being a strawberry haven. A major portion of land in Mahabaleshwar is utilized for strawberry cultivation. The city’s altitude and weather provide the perfect premises for the production of the tastiest and juiciest native strawberries. During strawberry season, besides gorging on the divine fruit to your heart’s content, you can indulge in strawberry picking at the local farms. You can take home with you a variety of strawberry-based products like jams, preserves, jellies, syrups and more. These products are easily available all year round at local stores. In addition to strawberries, Mahabaleshwar is also well-known for producing some of the best carrots, mulberries and corn.
Foodies will be in for a treat owing to the wide array of delicious food options available in Mahabaleshwar. You can look forward to relishing strawberry and cream, corn patties, sandwiches, pizzas, ice-creams and many more delectable dishes at restaurants such as Mapro Garden and Bagicha Corner.
From its picturesque panoramic beauty to the best Strawberries to feast on, from a slice of well-preserved history to its lush greenery and brilliant Waterfalls, Mahabaleshwar’s many attractions make it the perfect getaway for you and your family and friends!
- There are several comfortable hotels and resorts in Mahabaleshwar suitable for all budgets.
- The city has many well-known restaurants serving both vegetarian and non-vegetarian fare.
- Mode of Transport : The best way to reach and explore Mahabaleshwar is by car.
Things to do
- Visit the incredibly beautiful hill station of Mahabaleshwar for a for a fun family holiday, a romantic honeymoon or a memorable weekend trip with friends.
- Enjoy the panoramic beauty of the Western Ghats at Kate’s Point, Arthur’s Seat, Lodwick Point, Wilson Point, Elephant Point, Helen’s Point and Babington Point.
- Go boating in Venna Lake or explore its surroundings with a horseback ride.
- During monsoon, soak in the natural splendor of Mahabaleshwar’s impressive Chinaman Waterfalls, Lingmala Waterfalls and Dhobi Waterfalls.
- Embark on a temple trail and visit the Krishnabai Temple, the Panchganga Temple, the Mahabaleshwar Temple and Atibaleshwar Temple.
- Feast on delicious and farm-fresh strawberries, mulberries, corn and carrots. Take home strawberry products like jams, preserves, jellies, syrups and more.
- Relish strawberry and cream, corn pattice, sandwiches, pizzas, ice-creams and many more delectable dishes at restaurants such as Mapro Garden and Bagicha Corner.