- 112 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: Near Mahad
Shivthar Ghal is an ancient cave situated near Mahad, where Shri Samarth Ramdas Swami wrote the Dasbodh. There is also beautiful water near the cave.
Shivthar Ghal, also known as Sundarmath is an ancient cave situated near the town of Mahad in Maharashtra’s Raigad district. A place of great religious, spiritual and cultural significance, Shivthar Ghal has become a popular tourist attraction over the years. It is also the location of one the most beautiful waterfalls in all of Maharashtra. The best time to visit the cave is during monsoon, when the waterfall and the lush green surroundings are at their glorious best.
It is believed that 17th century saint Shri Samarth Ramdas Swami wrote the Dasbodh, a spiritual text, while he was staying in this cave. Shri Ramdas Swami lived in Shivthar Ghal for almost 22 years. It is also believed that the first meeting between Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and Shri Ramdas Swami took place at this cave.
The existence of this cave was first discovered in 1930 by Shri Shankar Rao Deo, a politician and freedom fighter. In 1950, the Samarth Seva Mandal renovated the cave and the area around it. Today, the complex surrounding the cave consists of a temple dedicated to Samarth Ramdas Swami and a community dining hall for devotees.
Once you reach the main entrance, climb about 100 steps to reach the main cavern. Shivthar Ghal’s shrine has statues of Samarth Ramdas Swami and his disciple Kalyan Swami, who actually wrote down the text of the Dasbodh, dictated to him by the saint. A mighty cascading waterfall flows just beside this cave. The atmosphere inside the cave is absolutely peaceful and divine. Sit here for a few minutes, relax and meditate, while listening to the soothing sounds of the nearby waterfall.
After visiting the cave temple and enjoying the enchanting view of the brilliant waterfall, return to the community dining hall and relish a delicious meal. The wholesome ‘Prasad’ usually consists of Moong-Dal Khichadi, Sheera and a pickle. For an overnight visit, you may stay at the comfortable lodging built by Shivthar Ghal Sundarmath Seva Samiti.
The road from Pune to Shivthar Ghal via Varanda Ghat has some rough patches. But the stunning scenery along this route is extremely beautiful. The breathtaking views of the spectacular waterfalls and picturesque green hills while climbing the Varanda Ghat are simply amazing. The view is especially astounding once you reach the peak. Make sure to stop here to photograph the cloud covered mountains, the lovely waterfalls and the striking landscape.
While driving along this route, you must also make a necessary pit stop at the food stalls selling piping hot tea and mouthwatering onion bhajis or pakoras. Beware of the playful monkeys jumping around this spot, because most of the times they will try to grab the snacks from your hand.
- On the way to Shivthar Ghal, you’ll come across a few vendors selling delicious snacks and tea/coffee near Varanda Ghat.
- For lunch once can eat the temple’s community dining hall.
- Or else, you may eat at one the few nice eateries located near the temple.
- For an overnight visit, you may stay at the comfortable lodging built by Shivthar Ghal Sundarmath Seva Samiti.
- Mode of Transport : The best way to reach Shivthar Ghal from Pune is by car.
Things to do
- Visit Shivthar Ghal, an ancient cave, where Shri Samarth Ramdas Swami wrote the Dasbodh.
- Explore the fascinating interiors of the beautiful cave and meditate in the divine atmosphere of the cave temple.
- Enjoy a brilliant close-up of the famous Shivthar Ghal Waterfall, which situated just beside the cave.
- Relish a wholesome and delicious meal, served as Prasad at the temple’s community dining halls.
- Enjoy a scenic drive from Pune to Varanda Ghat and photograph the spectacular scenery along the way.