- 53 Kms
- 4.7 / 5
Location: Near Pune
Tamhini Ghat is a mountain passage nestled in the Sahyadris blessed with an abundance of lush greenery and cascading waterfalls during monsoon.
Tamhini Ghat is a mountain passage nestled in the Sahyadris, between the regions of Mulshi and Tamhini. It is about 53 km away from Pune. During monsoon, the entire locale around Tamhini Ghat is blessed with an abundance of lush greenery and cascading waterfalls, making it the perfect destination for a fun weekend getaway near Pune.
The best time to visit Tamhini Ghat is during the months of August and September. You can carry a thermos of tea/coffee and some delicious snacks for a scenic road trip from Pune to Tamhini Ghat. Plan your trip during a weekday if you want to avoid crowds. The entire stretch of Tamhini Ghat is immensely beautiful and awe-inspiring. The roads may not always be in a good condition, but the natural spendor of this place makes up for it. When there is plentiful rainfall, you will spot anywhere between 50-70 amazing waterfalls at Tamhini Ghat. The bigger waterfalls are simply mesmerizing and you can spend hours soaking in their grandeur.
One of the major attractions along the Tamhini Ghat is the serene Mulshi Lake or the Mulshi Dam backwaters. The road near Mulshi Lake will take you further ahead to the massive and spectacular waterfall at Palse. This route further leads you to the village of Kolad, which has become popular for its offering of white water rafting on Kundalika River. The famous Devkund Waterfall is also close to Tamhini Ghat. However, entry to Devkund Falls is closed during monsoon due to thedanger of flash floods.
Visiting Tamhini Ghat during monsoon is an unforgettable experience. You can not only bond with family and friends amidst the magical settings, but also look forward to indulging in photography and bird-watching. If you wish to further explore the area around Tamhini Ghat, you can stay in Palse or Kolad. Both places have nice resorts, hotels and restaurants. While driving along Tamhini Ghat, you will come across several food stalls serving piping hot tea and mouthwatering snacks like corn on the cob, onion bhajis, Maggi noodles and more.
- There are several food stalls along Tamhini Ghat serving piping hot tea and mouthwatering snacks like corn on the cob, onion bhajis, Maggi noodles and more.
- The nearby villages of Palse and Kolad have many nice resorts, hotels and restaurants.
Things to do
- Visit the magical Tamhini Ghat for a refreshing monsoon getaway.
- Carry a thermos of tea/coffee and some delicious snacks for a scenic road trip from Pune to Tamhini Ghat.
- Photograph a plethora of cascading waterfalls spread throughout the entire stretch of Tamhini Ghat.
- Feast your eyes on the incredible hills covered in vibrant hues of green.
- Spend a few memorable moments at the serene Mulshi Lake, one of the major attractions along the Tamhini Ghat.