- 174 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: In Igatpuri
Built over the Pravara River, Wilson Dam is one of the oldest dams in India, situated in the village of Bhandardara, near Igatpuri.
Wilson Dam is one of the oldest dams in India, situated in the village of Bhandardara, near the town of Igatpuri. The dam is built over the Pravara River. The backwaters of Wilson Dam form the Arthur Lake or Bhandardara Lake. Owing to their natural splendor, the dam and the lake have become major tourist attractions. The incredible Wilson Dam is an ideal spot for a fun monsoon picnic with family and friends.
Also known as Bhandardara Dam, Wilson Dam was built by the British between the period of 1910 AD and 1926 AD. The dam’s height is about 492 feet. When the dam’s gates are opened two massive and spectacular cascades of water are created. The gush of water plummeting to hit the rocks below is a sight to behold. At the base of the dam is a lovely garden comprising a variety of lush green trees. You can go to the edge of this garden to enjoy refreshing sprinkles of water from the nearby cascades.
During monsoon, between the months of July and September, the enchanting Umbrella Fall is formed right under the Wilson Dam. The waterfall flows over naturally placed rocks that give an impression of an umbrella. The Umbrella Fall is visible only when the rain is at its peak and when the dam’s gates have been opened.
There are quite a few small eateries in the vicinity of the dam serving delicious snacks and piping hot tea and coffee. After visiting the dam, you must also explore nearby attractions such as the amazing Arthur Lake and the magnificent Randha Falls. Best time to visit Wilson Dam is during monsoon, when the dam and its picturesque surroundings are at their glorious best.
- There are quite a few small eateries in the vicinity of the dam serving delicious snacks and piping hot tea and coffee.
- Ample accommodation is available at Bhandardara.
- Mode of Transport : The best way to reach Wilson Dam is by car.
Things to do
- Enjoy a refreshing monsoon picnic with family and friends at the amazing Wilson Dam.
- Feel enthralled as you marvel at the spectacular cascades of water created when the dam’s gates are opened.
- Explore the beautiful circular garden situated at the base of the dam.
- During monsoon, witness the impressive spectacle of Umbrella Fall, which is formed right under the old Wilson Dam.
- Also visit nearby attractions such as the astounding Arthur Lake and the magnificent Randha Falls.