- 152 Kms
- 3 / 5
Location: In Satara District
Dedicated to Goddess Mahishashur Mardini Yamai Devi, Aundh’s Yamai Devi Temple is one of the most revered temples in Maharashtra.
Yamai Devi Temple is situated in the town of Aundh is Maharashtra’s Satara Distritct. It is one of the most revered temples in Maharashtra. The temple is dedicated to Goddess Yamai Devi, who is the family deity of many Maharashtrian families. Thousands of devotees and tourists visit this ancient but beautiful temple each year, especially during the annual Yamai Devi Yatra.
Yamai Devi Temple is perched atop a hill. It is accessible by car. You can drive your car up the hill till the temple’s parking space. The views from the top of this hill are absolutely spectacular. The temple itself has stunning ancient architecture. It has been associated with the aristocratic Pant Pratinidhi family, who rules over the then princely state of Aundh for many centuries. The temple’s 7 kg of solid gold ‘kalash’ or crown was installed by Gayatridevi Pant Pratinidhi, the present head of the former ruling family.
Inside the temple is a divine idol of Goddess Mahishashur Mardini Yamai Devi. The 6-feet-tall idol is made of black stone and is adorned with exquisite jewelry and attire from head to toe. You can take the blessings of the goddess and then spend a few minutes meditating or relaxing in the peaceful settings of the temple. The temple complex also houses the shrine of many other Hindu deities.
The temple complex is also home to Shri Bhavani Museum, a major tourist attraction. The museum was established by the Raja of Aundh, Late Shrimant Bhavanrao also known as Balasaheb Maharaj Pantpratinidhi, who was a not only a connoisseur of art but an artist himself. The museum displays the paintings of Shrimant Bhavanrao as well as precious artworks, sculptures, handwritten holy texts and literary works from the private collection of the Maharajas of Aundh. Priceless paintings of legendary Indian artists like Raja Ravi Verma, Baburao Painter, M.V. Dhurandar and Madhav Satwalekar are on display at this museum.
The museum also houses celebrated English sculptor Henry Moore’s famous ‘Mother and Child’ sculpture. In addition, four sections of the museum are completely devoted to Western paintings, which include famous artworks such as ‘Madonna of the Book’ by Andrea Del Sarto; a Rembrandt self-portrait, ‘In the Prison of Aurangzeb’ by A.H. Muller, ‘Beggar Boy’ by Bartona Morilla, ‘Franciso’ by L. Goya, ‘Boy Volunteer’ by G.G. Hierice, ‘Game of Draughts’ by F. Morelli, ‘Pairs’by Cornil and many more.
- Carry your own food and sufficient water while visiting the temple as there aren’t any restaurants nearby.
- There are many comfortable hotels and resorts in Satara suitable for all budgets.
- Mode of Transport: The best way to reach Yamai Devi Temple is by car.
Things to do
- Visit the beautiful Yamai Devi Temple situated in Satara District.
- Seek the blessings of Goddess Mahishashur Mardini Yamai Devi and then spend a few minutes meditating or relaxing in the peaceful settings of the temple
- Marvel at the spectacular views of Aundh town from the top of the hill.
- Visit the nearby Shri Bhavani Museum, which displays precious artworks, sculptures, handwritten holy texts and literary works from the private collection of the Maharajas of Aundh.